Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Get Creative! Its Halloween for goodness sakes!

Here is a pic from last year this time where the weather was still warm like today.Idon't remember the violent storms like we've had this year, but look at my little girls! They have grown up since this picture a few inches or so. I remember Halloween excitement as a child and trick or treating around the neighborhood into the wee hours of the night. This was always a good excuse to visit neighbors too and catch up with friends. Afterwards, my dad had to "check" my candy and I'd eat so much I'd usually get a tummy ache! We would relish in our conquest and count how many pieces of candy we retrieved. I always made my own costumes and don't recall my parents buying any accessories either. It was "use whatever is around the house". I'm pretty sure my parents were a little "cheap" about the subject of buying a costume, but it really did force me to "get creative". Maybe that helped me today as an art teacher. Many a day in my room or in my house I look around and "get creative" with things. One year, I remember making my costume up for Rainbow Bright. I drew rainbows on white contact paper and stuck them on the buttons of my pink overalls. The outfit was topped of with a hat with a large contact sticker of a huge rainbow that I drew. Not so good when it rained, but it worked.
Now that I'm an adult, I still  enjoy dressing up for Halloween and displaying pumpkins on my porch along with mums and a few other nick knacks. As a teacher, I love to entertain my students and goof off a bit. Halloween is a good excuse to express yourself and have fun being something you are not for a while. It is a chance to dream and be creative! Have fun this weekend and share one of your memories with someone!

No comments:

Recycled Jewelry!